Ss. Peter and Paul's PrimarySchool, Kickham St. Clonmel, Co. Tipperary Tel 052 6121964
Sn. Peadar 's Pól, Sráid Chiceam, Cluain Meala, Co. Thiobraid Árann
Ss. Peter and Paul's Primary School
Energy Conservation Action Day:
Our action day was held on Monday 19th October. Classess were involved in a class quiz and also a colouring competition. Thanks to Seán from An Taisce who spoke to pupils on energy sources and energy conservation. Pupils enjoyed the experiments and the energy conservation game.
Class pupils have been appointed to ensure doors are kept closed, lights are turned off and also that electrical appliances are not left on standby.
Did you know?
Oil is our main source of energy.
A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week wastes enough energy to fill half a bath.
Turning down the thermostat by 1 degree Celsius can reduce your heating bills by 10%.
How to conserve energy at home:
Turn Off the Lights!
· Don't leave lights on when no-one is in the room. Use energy efficient light bulbs (compact fluorescent light bulbs). These bulbs use ¼ of electricity as normal light bulbs and last up to 12 times longer!
Turn Down the Heat!
· Turning the thermostat down by 1°C can reduce your heating bills by 10%.
· Close your curtains at dusk as curtains block cold air coming in.
· Check all windows and doors to see where draughts are coming in. If you identify draughts get your parents to seal them up. Why don't you try and make a draught excluder using old clothes!
Turn Off Appliances!
· Turn off your TV, stereo, play-station, computer, washing machine, DVD and other appliances when they are not in use. Leaving appliances on stand-by uses energy so remember to switch them off.
Turn Off the Taps!
· A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week wastes enough hot water to fill half a bath, so fix leaking taps and make sure they're fully turned off!
· Turn off taps - wasting water wastes electricity as a huge amount of electricity is used daily in supplying water and cleaning it after use.